HOW DO I ...
Become a Field Representative?
- Fill out and submit via mail the Examination Application. If you have taken the examination within the last six months, you can submit the Re-examination Application. There is a fee of $50 per branch payable to the SPCB, for each time you take the examination.
- The Board recommends that you complete the Live Scan/Fingerprint process before you sit for the examination. The Board must receive your Live Scan results before issuing your license. Live Scan results can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months or more. If you have already completed your Live Scan with the Board, you do not have to repeat the process. Please note that if you have completed a Live Scan for a license that has since cancelled and you do not hold another current license, you must complete a new Live Scan.
- The Board will review your Examination Application and once approved will transfer your eligibility to the computer based testing vendor, PSI. PSI will either mail or email (if you provided an email address on your examination application) you a Candidate Handbook with instructions for scheduling your examination date and time. All information regarding scheduling, cancelling or changing examination dates is included in the Candidate Handbook. You will be required to provide a non-expired, government issued, photo ID when appearing for the examination. Failure to provide such identification will result in denial of entrance to the examination.
- Once you become eligible, you must schedule and sit for your examination within 6 months. If you do not, your application is considered abandoned and you must submit an original application, including the examination fee.
- There are 17 examination sites throughout California and an additional 22 locations nationwide. PSI will help you to schedule your examination at the location closest to you.
- Suggested Study Material for Branches 1 & 3
- Suggested Study Material for Branch 2
- Examination results will be provided immediately following the completion of the examination. Passing results will include a license application and a Certificate of Training and Experience. Failing results will include an area content breakdown and a Re-examination Application. If you fail to appear for the examination, a Re-examination Application and fee must be submitted to the Board. Once the Re-examination Applicationhas been received and reviewed by the Board and you are approved for testing, a new Candidate Handbook will be mailed to you. Once you receive your new Candidate Handbook, you may contact PSI to schedule your next examination. Please note that if you fail or do not appear for your scheduled examination, you will not become eligible for the same examination for 30 days from the last scheduled examination date.
- The license application requires a $30 fee and the completion of the Certificate of Training/Experience.
- If you're a veteran, any applicable training or experience you received while in the military may be applied toward licensure requirements.
- You can check to see if you have been licensed by using our License Lookup. Simply search using your name. Once a license number has been issued, you may begin working. Your physical license will be mailed to the address provided on your license application in approximately 2 to 4 weeks.
- If your application for a license was denied, you are entitled to a hearing on the matter under Chapter 5 (commencing with § 11500) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code. You will receive a denial notification with specific instructions for requesting a hearing. The instructions will direct you to submit a written request within 60 days of service of the denial notification to:
Structural Pest Control Board
2005 Evergreen Street, Ste. 1500
Sacramento, CA 95815
If the Board does not receive a written request for a hearing within the 60-day period, the right to a hearing will be deemed waived and the denial of your application affirmed.