Live Scan/Fingerprint Instructions
Senate Bill 363 (Stats. 2003, chapter 874) requires all new applicants for Operator, Field Representative, and Applicator licenses to submit fingerprint identification and undergo a background investigation. This requirement includes applicants who are upgrading a license and who have not previously submitted fingerprints or undergone a background investigation.
In order to expedite this process, the Structural Pest Control Board (Board) is using a fingerprinting system called "Live Scan." Live Scan is made possible through digitization of fingerprints, which enables electronic transfer of the fingerprint images to central site computers at the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The Live Scan system requires the applicant to go to a Live Scan site and directly pay for fingerprint scanning services. Live Scan sites are situated throughout the State at various locations within each county. In most cases, local police or sheriff's departments can perform Live Scan services. As of October 1, 2007, the fee for Live Scan is $51, plus a fingerprint-rolling fee established by each individual location. This rolling fee can vary depending on the location. These fees are paid directly to the Live Scan site, not to the Board.
In order to locate a Live Scan site in your area, visit the Department of Justice (DOJ) web site at (http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints), or check with your pest control employer who may have a current listing of Live Scan sites.
Follow these steps in order to complete the Live Scan process:
- Locate a Live Scan site in your area.
- Call and verify hours, fee, and ask if an appointment is necessary.
- Complete the Live Scan Service form. (Pre-printed forms are available by downloading the Live Scan Form, or by calling the Board at 916-561-8704.
- Take the completed form and two copies to a Live Scan site.
- Pay the required fees directly to the site.
- Upon completion of the scanning process, the operator will give you back two copies of the form.
- Send a copy of the processed form to the Board.
If you have any questions, please contact the Licensing Unit at 916-561-8704.